Shipping containers are the most commonly used means of transport for the transport of loose goods. The most common sizes of shipping containers are 20ft, 20ft high cube, 40ft and 45ft.
- Privacy guaranteed
- Unsubscribe at any moment
Thank you! You're almost done.
You're almost subscribed to updates to the filters you've selected! Please check your e-mail and click the link in there to activate the subscribtion. Unsubscribe at any time by using the unsubscribe link in the e-mails you'll receive starting from your activation.
An error occurred
Our apologies, something has gone wrong. Please refresh the page (on mobile drag the page down, on a desktop use the F5 button) and try again. If the error persists, rest assured that we've already been notified and should have this fixed for you as soon as possible.
Sea containers: the success of standardised dimensions
The reason that shipping containers have become so popular in the transport world is that they can be easily loaded from a ship onto a train or truck. This saves a lot of time during transshipment and allows companies to work more efficiently. The most common size is TEU. This stands for Twenty feet Equivalent Unit, popularly called a 20-footer. 20 feet is approximately 6 metres.
In addition to this size, there are a number of standard sizes:
- 20 ft
- 20 ft highcube
- 40 ft
- 45 ft
The 7 most common shipping containers
Because many different goods are transported, there are different types of shipping containers. The most common are:
- Standard shipping containers made of steel or aluminium for the transport of general cargo
- Reefer containers that keep perishable goods at the right temperature
- Platform containers with an extra reinforced floor for heavy loads
- Bulk containers for bulk and break bulk goods
- Tank containers allow you to transport liquids and gases under pressure
- Insulated containers with an external cooling motor are still used for products like flowers
- Open-top containers are covered with a tarpaulin and are therefore ideal for large goods that do not fit in a standard shipping container
How do I advertise shipping containers?
How does TrucksNL work?
TrucksNL is an international trading platform. Anyone can post advertisements or buy vehicles. The website is visited daily by traders, dealers, transport and construction companies from all over the world. You can respond or receive reactions via e-mail, telephone and WhatsApp.